contains peanuts

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Turkey with a side of awkward

For Thanksgiving we traveled to my parent's home in Gaylord for the long weekend. On Saturday we drove another 2 hours across the bridge to Sault Ste. Marie, MI to visit my grandparents that I have not seen in about 9 years. Did I also mention my "sperm donor" was there? This would not be the father of my daughter but rather my biological father that I have also not seen in 9 years and probably another 16 years before that one meeting. The story is not a new one. Boy and girl meet and fall in love. They get married and have a baby. And then they wake up one day and realize it just doesn't work. Frankly, I don't actually know what happened between my mom and Craig. I don't think that is a topic that warms her heart so if I have asked in the past I have forgotten the answer. And now I don't much see the point in asking. My mom remarried when I was little and my dad adopted me when I was 5. Sperm donor relinquished his parental rights along with his financial responsibility to me. On a very important side note my father is a wonderful man and I am very blessed that he is in my life. He taught me how to throw a ball and the importance of doing what you love.

Moving on to now. I was a bit nervous about meeting up with this part of my family since it had been so long. And also because I just don't see how they fit into my life anymore. Mostly the sperm donor. I have a father so I am not sure what role Craig is expecting to fill.

My grandparents place has not changed much since I was last there so many years ago. It is a large stone house on a farm with a dilapitated barn that sits on the river that leads out to Lake Nicolet. My grandfather and I used to fish that lake when I was little. He is not doing well. I will not see him in this life time again. That was very hard to take but it made me happy that we had come.

The meeting lasted a few hours and it was mostly painless. My favorite part was when Craig gave Maddie a gift of what he kept calling a stuffed dog. This thing was NOT a dog. It was definitely a horse. And when he went to pull the tag off the "dog" to give it to Maddie I saw the words Dog Toy written on it. So while it was a very nice gesture on his part he did, in fact, buy my daughter a dog toy. With a squeaker.

2 Comments:

At 8:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Lord. Maddie likes squeaky toys, right?

 
At 8:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am envious of the way you put certain parts of your life in their "place". So many of us hold on far too tightly letting them do their best to get in the way of our happiness.

And the whole dog toy thing is just disturbing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home