contains peanuts

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

3 Days and Counting

In 3 days it is very possible that my life will be altered greatly. No, I am not getting a new haircut. I am waiting to hear from an official hiring board whether or not I have the "right stuff" to join their police department. I am 32 years old and possibly embarking on a career and life change. I would have to move with my family to Las Vegas, NV. I would have to endure 6 months of Academy training that nothing so far in my life has prepared me for. The military is about rules, respect, following orders, shining boots, cleaning guns, RUNNING A LOT. And did I mention people yelling at you all the time if you are not doing all of those things just right? I am not sure I was made to exist in a world like that. However, I am 99% sure I can survive that world to get to the part that I really want.

I guess I am just excited and nervous about what might happen. The possibility of failure is always looming. Or just the possibility that maybe I was wrong and not made to be a cop. What if I accept this job and move 1755 miles across country leaving almost everything I have ever known and I am wrong? I know it is important to take risks and follow your dreams. But like my esteemed brother in law said, what if I am a "day late and dollar short"? My dreams are bigger than just me now. They include my daughter and my husband. I am taking steps that will alter their lives.

Ok, enough gloom and doom! I rolled the dice and the chips are going to fall wherever the hell they want. And frankly, don't most chips belong in Vegas anyway?

2 Comments:

At 1:24 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

I am 100% sure about your ability. After all, when I yell, you snap to, don't you? Well, DON'T YOU? That's what I thought! Get those knees up and run, little lady! I admire that you're following your dream. And your husband and your daughter are behind you, whatever happens.

Do it. DO IT.

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Lj said...

I can definitely relate to not knowing what will happen next, worrying whether or not you have made the right choice, all of it. I have no doubts of your having what it takes. I can only say that I am so very proud of you for what you have done. Your confidence and drive never ceases to amaze me. You inspire me to be all that I am and follow my dreams. You are simply practicing what you preach, which most people don't do. You just have to trust your instincts and do what you feel is right. Life is really just a series of choices. When the moment comes, you will make the right one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home